The Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program is one of two distinct components of PADI’s Instructor Development Course (IDC)—the core of PADI Instructor training. The OWSI introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator. The challenging part of this course is your personal commitment to the training. The course requires you to prepare daily assignments for teaching presentations daily. Organization and dedication are key.
During the OWSI course you’ll learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least;
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentations integrating two skills
You will demonstrate competence at;
- Performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- Performing a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 meters/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
During the course you’ll need to demonstrate competency in Dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part.
After becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor, you will be able to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Dive master. You may also choose to acquire specialty instructor ratings in areas of interest.
To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Dive master or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with me for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving to participate in the Instructor Development Course. You’ll need 100 logged dives to take the Instructor Exams
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
800 USD – 8 days
595 USD for Instructor Crew Pack